I have a better question to pop.
What should we eat for dessert?
This is a question that Andrea and I pondered after finishing delicious meals. We sat in our dining room and visions of sugar-plums danced in our heads. Actually, I lie. Visions of anything chocolatey danced through our heads.
We began throwing out ideas: brownies, cupcakes, a banana creation. You know, the usual. But we just weren’t feelin’ it. Instead, we made something more perfect than we ever could’ve envisioned. Something salty and sweet. Something vegan. Something different but irresistible.
Okay, okay, I’ll get to the point and ask you, what should you eat for dessert?
I’m going to pretend I can tell fortunes for a second and go ahead and let you know that this is in your future. The ingredients are simple, the taste is out of this world, and it’s the perfect food to snack on, enjoy for dessert, and share with friends. Andrea and I think so, and we know you will too.
And if this picture hasn’t convinced you to go ahead and try making this popcorn, maybe this little song about it will encourage you to do so.
Pop! Goes the Popcorn!
(sung to the tune of Pop! Goes the Weasel)
A half a cup of yummy kernels
Half a cup of chocolate
That’s what you need for this treat
Pop! Goes the popcorn!
Don’t worry, I won’t quit my day job to start a song-writing career, but the punniness of the song was too much to resist. So, without further ado, here’s the recipe to our popcorn concoction!
Caramel Chocolate Popcorn
For the popcorn:
1/4 cup of popcorn kernels (or 1/2 cup of popcorn kernels, depending on how much you want the popcorn to be coated)
1-2 tablespoons oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
For the caramel sauce:
1/2 cup xylitol
1 teaspoon agave
For the chocolate drizzle:
1/3 cup chocolate chips
1. In a small pan, combine xylitol and agave. Stir for 5-8 minutes over medium heat, watching it carefully. Take off the burner when it becomes a beautiful caramel color. At this point, it will be really liquidy so pour the contents of the pan into a small bowl and then place it in the fridge. For more instruction, go to this blog which is where I found the recipe. Thanks, FoodieFiasco!
2. While the caramel starts to get a bit more gel-like, start popping the popcorn. Add 1-2 tablespoons oil (or enough to lightly coat all kernels) and the kernels to a large pot. Ensure that you put a lid on the pot before you begin attempting to pop the kernels. Heat over medium-high heat until most of the kernels have popped. Transfer the popcorn to a bowl.
3. Put chocolate chips into a microwave-safe bowl and microwave them for 45 seconds. At this point, check them and stir. If they are fully melted at any point during this process, drizzle the chocolate onto the popcorn. If they aren’t completely melted, put them in for 15 additional seconds and then check them again. Repeat process until you get melted chocolate. Ensure that you don’t burn the chips-this can happen easier than you might think!
4. Grab the big bowl of popcorn and sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon salt on it. Then, drizzle chocolate all over the popcorn, mixing as you do it. After that, drizzle the caramel and continue to mix. Mix popcorn carefully (as not to break too many pieces) and then let it sit for a little bit while the chocolate hardens. Or, if you’re like us, start eating popcorn by the spoonful while it’s still warm. If your chocolate isn’t hardening, you can go ahead and pop the bowl into the fridge for 10 minutes. The popcorn won’t get stale and the chocolate will firm up.
5. Dig into this treat!! Hope you love it as much as we do!!