Sounds a little bit like horse food, right? Maybe add some sugar cubes and apples in there and you could make one pretty little pony happy. But I’ve got a better idea: look past the fact that these ingredients might look like the meal of our four-legged friends and make some of these muffins for yourself. Topped with Greek yogurt “frosting”, you can pretty much guarantee yourself a cupcake-type creation for breakfast tomorrow. I’m not sure I could tell the difference between a cupcake and this nutritious muffin if I didn’t know the ingredients!
Dig in and enjoy this carrot-cake inspired muffin! You can start your day off (or finish it) with a treat packed with veggies, fruits, whole grains, and proteins. What could be better than that?
Tropical Carrot Cake Muffins (Serves 2)
1/4 cup oats
1/4 cups mixture of pineapple and mango
1/2 cup carrots
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon water
2 tablespoons almond milk
2 teaspoons flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon agave
1 teaspoon baking soda
1. Shred carrots into a small bowl. If you don’t have a shredder, use a veggie peeler to peel the carrot into thin strips. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Combine oats, fruit, and carrots in a food processor. Pulse for about a minute, or until ingredients are mixed well and of a batter-like consistency.
3. In a small dish or bowl, combine baking powder with water and allow it to mix well. It should fizzle and foam a little bit.
4. Add this mixture to the food processor, as well as the remaining ingredients. Blend them all together for about a minute. If the batter looks watery, add flour by the teaspoon and if it looks too doughy, add almond milk by the teaspoon.
5. Pop these nutritional powerhouses into the oven and watch them rise! Let them sit in the oven for about 20 minutes, or until slightly browned and firm.
6. Once they are done, take them out of the oven and let them sit and cool for a while. Trust me, they’re worth the wait. While you’re waiting, go ahead and make the Greek yogurt “frosting” below.
Cinnamon-vanilla Greek Yogurt Frosting
2 oz. Greek Yogurt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Combine ingredients and stir well. For a firmer, more frosting-like texture, pop the mixture in the freezer for 10-15 minutes before topping the muffins. If vegan, skip the frosting and just enjoy the muffin by itself!